Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

I was reading Allen Webb's blog about setting new year's resolutions and it got me thinking about what I want to do differently this year. I have been listening to numerous podcasts this christmas break, mostly from the Harvard Business Review, and some from the Stanford Ventures Program which seem to be focused on the financial crisis and what to do about it. Many talk about my generation (gen Y), and say how for us, this financial mess should not seem so bleak. We didn't loose much in the stock market. We don't have much in a 401K. Most of us don't have kids to support. Other than the waivering job market, we have been virtually untouched by all this mess. Much of what I've read and heard says that now is the time to look for opportunity amidst all the garbage that surrounds us. To echo Allen Webb, the opportunities to "go big" are aplenty.

With that said, I want in. I want a peice of the action. Being in college I feel like I'm so far away from the action. I feel like a can't really do anything until school is under my belt. I know how untrue that really is, but the feeling remains.

I have decided that my new year's resolution is going to be to live like I am right in the middle of the action. I am going to live like the entrepreneur I have always wanted to be. There is so much I want to do that doesn't get done due to a lack of dicipline and even a lack of confidence. This is the year to have no regrets. This is the year to work hard and really enjoy the rewards. This is the year to excel in school, excel in business, and above all, excel in matters of the spirit.

I'm not sure what this will all look like but I have decided to keep a record of my journey on a new blog which you can find here. This is where you will find out if I am succeeding or failing at my task of self improvement. This year will be a refining element in my life.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Ja-ha said...

When the crap are we going to hang out? Duh, don't be such a crapface.

PS I can't believe that you have a link to my meager site on the side of your blog under "my people," I am truly honored.

PPS C'mon! (gob)

Mark said...

Dude, it is now officially time to hang out... officially. When are you in Provo? When am I in SLC? Those are two very good questions we have to answer honestly and hopefully, when we find the answers, we can come together with a proper solution to our problem. Let our nation ring out in praises to you and me as we travel the universe to find each other.