Saturday, June 21, 2008

Why does McDonalds suck so bad?

Yesterday at around 6:00 my stomach started growling for dinner. I was in the middle of doing my favorite thing on the planet which is walking around the neighborhood and trying to sign people up on a route for pest control. By this time I had worked for 5 hours for free and was already pissed about it.

I got in my car to drive around and look for a suitable place to satisfy my appetite and found none such satisfyings. Somehow I ended up in the ghetto, and was so hungry I vowed to eat at the very next place that served food. A strip mall up ahead looked promising and as I approached with anticipation, the only restaurant in sight had two yellow arches. McDonalds.

Ugh!!

With MUCH hesitation, I mean VERY much hesitation, I walked in having convinced myself that, "hey, I haven't eaten here for years. Maybe things have changed."

They haven't.

Why is it that every person who eats at McDonalds looks like McDonalds?There is just something disturbing about seeing America's lower half chowing down on what they think is awesome food only to see clearly that it's really super sized obesity in the form of a big mac.

I sat there embarrased while I satisfied my mac attack in shame among my over weight peers. Between the man with swollen feet popping out of his tevas and the old woman with wrinkly homemade tatoos, i sat dreading the thought of ever turning out like them. I felt their presence seeping onto my skin like a thick stench makes you want to take a hot shower and scrub all over. It was not pleasant.

There were a few normal looking middle class citizens who came in the doors that made me feel a little better about being there. I mean, if they were there, then maybe me being there wasn't so bad. That reassurance quickly left when I noticed that the only reason they came in was to rent a redbox movie. Then they huridly shuffled towards the door as if trying not to be seen, throwing a glance my way that said, "poor fellow. He doesn't even know how to take care if himself." Then they were gone.

There was nothing I could do. They were right. I was taking my first steps to being on welfare and not owning a washer and dryer. I was becoming McDonalds.

Note to self: McDonalds is a terrible place to be. It's not worth the shame.